Back injuries result in various types of personal injury accidents. The most common causes are slip or trip and fall accidents, car collisions injuring both drivers and pedestrians, or performing strenuous activities like construction. Truck, bus, and auto accidents can injure the passangers and drivers causing back and spinal injuries every year.
Back pain can occur anywhere in the back from below the neck to above the buttocks. It can develop and worsen over time but is usually caused by a blunt force injury.
Specific Examples of Back Injuries & Damage
Back pain can often be a sudden occurrence that can cause either mild to extreme pain. Swelling and bruises normally appear in the affected region. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Tendon and Muscle Damage: Involves injury to the muscles and tendons supporting your back, also called back strain.
- Damaged Ligaments: Includes injury to the strong, fibrous tissue that connects bone and cartilage together in the back, also referred to as a back sprain.
- Slipped (Herniated or Ruptured) Disc: The vertebrae in the backbone are protected by soft discs. When these discs are damaged, the inner jelly-like contents are pushed out through the stronger outside layer of the disc.
- Pinched Nerve: Nerve compression causes pressure and sometimes severe pain and restricted movement.
- Nerve damage: More serious injuries can cause nerve damage that can cause severe pain.
- Dislocation or Fracture of the Spine: These are the most serious of back injuries requiring immediate stabilization and medical care. They can lead to the patient being temporarily or permanently paralyzed.
Treating back injuries will depend on the type and severity of the damage and the age and health of the patient. Manipulative and physical therapy, medications, and in some cases, surgery will be required. The costs can be prohibitive, and you may even lose your ability to work temporarily or for an extended period of time.
We have been successful in recovering in some cases in excess of one million dollar settlements for our clients in automobile cases involving cars, pedestrians, trucks and motorcycles not to mention slip and fall accidents. Click here to learn more about the case results and victories we have achieved for our clients in terms of settlements.
If you had an accident at work or were injured by a driver who was negligent, you may seek a monetary award for your back injuries by contacting Jacoby & Meyers, a personal injury law firm dedicated to plaintiffs who have been injured.