As the roadways of Southern California become increasingly congested, the number of vehicle accidents that cause injury or death also rises. Each year, over 30,000 people die in the United States and millions more are injured as a result of accidents that take place on 3 trillion miles of highways and roads. According to the Automobile Club, each car crash death causes an average of $3 million in losses. Without an experienced Inland Empire car accident attorney, drivers in the I.E. who get into accidents may have to face uncertainty alone.
The Inland Empire Metropolitan Area, including Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, is home to more than 4 million people spanning an area of 27,000 square miles. As the third most populous region in California, it is also home to several major freeways that are considered to be among the most congested in the United States. Unfortunately, this leads to a vast number of deadly car accidents in the Inland Empire.
Because accidents happen so unexpectedly, it is advisable to know a reputable car accident lawyer before a catastrophe strikes. It is also worthwhile to keep in mind things that you should do if you are involved in an accident.
What To Do After A Car Accident?
If you are involved in an Inland Empire car accident, first make sure that everyone in the car is safe. Once you have attended to the urgent medical needs of all injured parties, be sure to note the exact time, date, and location of the accident. Gather as many details as you can about the weather and road conditions, all drivers and vehicles involved in the collision, license plate numbers, and insurance information. If you have a telephone with a camera, it is a good idea to take pictures of the scene, including the other driver. Believe it or not, the driver may later claim that he or she was not there.
It is also important to seek non-emergency medical care as soon as possible after the accident, even if you feel fine. Often, certain injuries may not surface until 36 to 48 hours after the accident due to the adrenaline rush. Records are important in traffic accident claims so be sure to file a police report if no officers were present at the scene. Anything you say can be used against your favor, so avoid admitting any responsibility toward the accident or placing any guilt on others – only discuss factual details. In fact, even if you initially think you might be responsible, subsequent facts could reveal that the other person is at fault.
Inland Empire Car Accident Attorney
Be sure to contact a reputable car accident attorney in the Inland Empire as soon as possible after the accident and do not settle any insurance claims before consulting with your lawyer. Even when an accident appears minor, it is impossible to know immediately how serious the long-term effects will be. However, an experienced traffic accident lawyers will not delay in gathering crucial information from the scene, which may disappear after even a day or two, or from individuals who may change details of the story as time goes on. A lawyer can also help you negotiate with insurance companies, who often try to settle claims quickly in order to minimize their costs.
Jacoby & Meyers takes pride in our 40 years of work as a professional Inland Empire auto accident lawyers. Each lawyer associated with Jacoby & Meyers is professional, dedicated, and knowledgeable in a specific area of law. To date, we have recovered more than $1 billion in compensation for over 100,000 satisfied clients.
Compensation You Can Receive If You Are A Car Accident Victim
Unlike some other states, California law does not limit the compensation you can receive if you are the victim of a car accident. In fact, if you have been involved in an Inland Empire car accident, you may be entitled to payment for any or all of the following expenses:
• Medical expenses for immediate care, including, doctor or chiropractic visits, x-rays, hospitalization, and examinations or x-rays.
• Costs associated with long-term medical care needed as a result of an accident. This can include physical therapy, or other long-term treatment, hospitalization, or rehabilitation.
• Any assistance needed in the home as a result of an injury. This includes nursing care, cleaning, or a personal needs assistant. When an accident victim requires permanent assistance, a claim settlement can provide enough money to provide care for the rest of his or her life.
• Any physical pain or emotional suffering you might suffer as a result of the accident, such as the inability to enjoy life and family or to handle and perform daily routine activities.
• Any wages lost because of reduced hours due to limited ability and missed work as a result of recovery time or doctor visits. In incidents of severe injuries that limit a person’s earning capacity for an indefinite about of time, compensation may include the cost of permanent lost wages and re-training or education.
• Punitive damages may be awarded in certain situations – especially against companies that habitually allow unsafe drivers on the road.
Many of these circumstances and calculations are complicated and difficult to prove. A reliable car accident attorney who consults with medical and economic experts can determine the cost of your long-term injuries. If you or someone you know has been injured or killed in a car accident, an attorney associated with Jacoby & Meyers will build a legal claim that is tailor-made for your circumstances and fight for appropriate compensation and your rights.