According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motor vehicle accidents led to about 36,000 fatalities in 2019, nearly the same rate of fatalities that occurred in 2018. In California specifically, the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) reported about 3,500 fatalities caused by motor vehicle accidents in 2018.
If you were in a car accident in Pico Rivera, California, and suffered significant injuries and damages, you might be able to receive compensation from the party at fault for the accident.
Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291 for a free case evaluation. One of our firm’s representatives can speak with you about your car accident and explain in more detail how a Pico Rivera car accident lawyer can help you fight for compensation.
The NHTSA Lists Three Main Causal Factors for Car Accidents
According to the NHTSA, most motor vehicle accidents were caused by one of the following factors:
- Driver error: these errors stem from either driver negligence or incompetence. Some examples include driving while distracted (e.g., texting), driving while intoxicated, changing lanes without signaling, speeding, and making an improper turn.
- Vehicle error: these errors stem from malfunctions that occur within the vehicle. In some cases, a vehicle malfunction might occur due to lack of or improper maintenance. In other cases, a defective vehicle part or the vehicle’s design may have led to the malfunction, which then led to an accident.
- Environmental factor: certain road hazards are naturally occurring, such as inclement weather. Drivers can get into accidents because of snow, ice, rain, fog, and even bright sun glare. However, other environmental hazards can include potholes, construction zones and equipment, and improper signage or road design.
Your legal team may be able to help you determine what caused your accident and who should be held liable for your damages. In some cases, there might be more than one liable party involved. If this applies to your situation, you might be able to pursue compensation from each party.
You Must Provide Evidence to Support Your Case
The opposing party will most likely attempt to contest your claims about them being the at-fault or liable party in the car accident, so you and your lawyer should try to collect as much evidence as possible to back your arguments.
You and your legal team may use the following as evidence in your case:
- The accident report
- Traffic camera footage
- Surveillance footage from a nearby business or residential property
- Eyewitness testimony
- Accident reconstruction analysis
- Blackbox information or data logs
- Driving records
- Test results, such as from a breathalyzer or blood sample test
Not sure if you have enough evidence to support your case? Let us review your situation and determine how we may be able to help you prove your claims. You can reach the team at Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices by dialing (888) 522-6291 and get a free case review. If you decide to work with us, we can have a Pico Rivera car accident lawyer get started on your case right away.
Pico Rivera Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 888-522-6291
Car Accident Victims Can Get Several Types of Damages
Perhaps the two things that people immediately name as damages in car accidents are property damage and medical expenses. However, as a car accident victim, you might be entitled to other damages that might not seem like a direct result of the collision but are a result of being injured or not having transportation.
These damages may include:
- Out-of-pocket medical expenses, such as having to buy crutches or a neck brace
- Loss of wages due to having to heal from your injuries, attend doctor’s appointments, and fix your vehicle
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience you experienced because of your injuries
- Diminished quality of life, in that your injuries prevent you from enjoying hobbies and activities you used to partake in before the collision
- Permanent disability or loss of limb or bodily function
If you lost a loved one in a car accident, you might also be eligible to claim damages related to their passing, such as funeral expenses or loss of income if your loved one supported you and/or your family.
Only certain individuals may qualify to claim wrongful death damages, so you may want to consult your legal team to determine if your relationship to the decedent (your loved one) qualifies you for compensation.
Your lawyer can inform you about other types of damages to pursue and help you calculate their value before submitting your demand letter to the insurance company.
The Statute of Limitations
One key thing to remember when pursuing compensation is the statute of limitations. This law serves as a legal deadline for personal injury cases and can bar plaintiffs from pursuing compensation if they file their case late.
Written in California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1, the statutory deadline for personal injury cases is generally two years after the date of injury. In car accident cases, this date can be confirmed with the crash report.
Other factors might affect the timeline you must abide by, such as whether you are suing a municipality. Your lawyer can explain this in more detail if it applies to your case.
Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices After Your Car Accident
If you would like to bring a personal injury lawsuit or file an insurance claim about your car accident-related injuries, contact Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices for legal assistance. We offer several services to help our clients prepare their case for review by an insurance adjuster or judge, such as:
- Retrieving evidence
- Interviewing witnesses who saw the accident
- Getting testimony from expert witnesses, such as mechanical engineers or accident reconstruction analysts
- Assessing and calculating damages
A Pico Rivera car accident lawyer from our firm may serve as your legal representative, whether you opt to negotiate a settlement with the negligent party’s insurance provider or decide to take your case to trial.
Get Your Free Case Consultation Today
If you would like more information about the personal injury legal process, call (888) 522-6291 for a free consultation with one of our team members. We can review your case and advise you on how to move forward.