If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident, you may qualify for damages to help you support your family and compensate you for your injuries. A Downey car accident lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices could help you file, fight, and resolve your lawsuit. To find out more, call us at (888) 522-6291 today for a free consultation. We proudly serve cities and communities throughout California, including Downey.
Road Safety Is a Team Effort
Staying safe on the road involves cooperation among multiple parties, including:
- Drivers of motorcycles, cars, and trucks
- Bicyclists and pedestrians who share the road with larger vehicles
- Road maintenance crews who maintain the streets
- Mechanics who keep our vehicles in good repair
- Auto manufacturers who produce and assemble the vehicles we drive
Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are, you cannot always avoid or make up for another party’s irresponsible behavior. Even a seemingly small mistake—such as a driver taking their eyes off the road to check a text message—can have major consequences for you, your health, and your future.
Per the California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1, car accident victims generally have two years to take legal action against the party (or parties) responsible for their injuries. After this date, your right to compensatory damages expires. If you would like to take advantage of your right to sue the negligent party in your accident, a Downey car accident lawyer could represent you. Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291 for more information.
Compensation: Definitions and Examples
All car owners in California must carry a certain amount of insurance, per the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Therefore, to receive compensation, you must prove to the liable party’s insurance company that you deserve it. (If the liable driver was uninsured, you may still be able to recover compensation. Talk to a lawyer about your options.)
The types of damages you can collect will depend on various factors, including the kinds of accident injuries you suffered. Non-economic damages, for instance, will cover your physical and mental injuries, such as:
- Pain and suffering: Your injuries had negatively impacted your physical and/or emotional health.
- Scarring or disfigurement: Scars from your injuries have irrevocably changed your appearance or your ability to use the affected area.
- Quality of life: You will never be able to resume your old lifestyle. This may mean giving up enjoyable activities or seeking help with the basics, like getting dressed.
- Loss of companionship: In wrongful death cases, you can sue for the loss of the affection and comfort your deceased loved one can no longer give you.
Economic damages will cover the money you lost. Examples include:
- Lost wages: Your injuries kept you home from work, thus preventing you from supporting your family while you healed.
- Lost employment: Your employer fired you because of your injuries, or your injuries prevent you from performing your job duties.
- Repair expenses: Your car needed repairs or to be completely replaced because of damage inflicted by the accident.
- End-of-life expenses: Your loved one lost their life because of the accident, and you paid for any or all of their end-of-life expenses, such as funeral costs and final medical bills.
The above is not an exhaustive list of damages. If you have any questions about what you may qualify for, do not hesitate to reach out to an attorney. They can assist you with your case in many ways, some of which are discussed in the following section.
Downey Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 888-522-6291
A Lawyer Can Make the Legal Process Easier
No matter what stage your lawsuit is in, Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices can help. Here’s how.
First, We Can Review Your Case for Free
Call our office at any time. A member of our team can evaluate the merits of your case and let you know if we can help, all during one free phone call.
Then, We Investigate Your Accident
Your testimony is crucial, but it is only one piece of evidence among many. Your lawyer will gather medical records, police reports, photos of the accident scene—anything that can prove the liable party’s insurance company should pay what you ask for.
Next, We File Paperwork
This is not the most exciting part of the legal process, but it is a crucial one, nonetheless. To start your lawsuit, you (or your lawyer) must notify the liable party and the court. Later, you may have to submit evidence to a judge or file other types of paperwork. We are happy to manage all paperwork on your behalf.
Finally, We Fight for Your Compensation
If the insurance company has already offered you a settlement, do not sign too quickly. Just because it has offered you compensation does not mean the offer is fair or that no provisions in the agreement strip you of your rights. Your lawyer can review the agreement before you commit to anything.
If, however, the insurance company does not offer fair compensation right away, you still have options. The first (and, often, faster) option is to have your lawyer negotiate with the insurance company until they agree to pay what you need. Second, if negotiations stall, your lawyer is not afraid to take your case straight to the courtroom.
Call Us Today for a Free Consultation
The team at Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices understands how difficult it is to get back on your feet after a car accident. A Downey car accident lawyer is available to assume your legal burden, protect your rights, and fight for every penny of compensation you deserve—and we send no bills unless you get your money. Give us a call at (888) 522-6291 today for a free consultation. We have team members standing by to speak with you at any time.