Some accidents cannot be avoided. Others, however, could have been prevented with reasonable care and caution. If another party’s careless, negligent behavior caused your injury, a Downey personal injury lawyer can help you pursue the monetary damages that you and your family need. For more information and a free case assessment, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291.
Another Person’s Carelessness Can Cost You
You do your best to be a responsible citizen—obeying driving laws, training your pets, keeping your property safe, and so on—and you, quite reasonably, expect others to do the same. Unfortunately, not everyone shows the same level of consideration for others. Even one instance of thoughtless or reckless behavior can cause:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Drivers who go too fast, do not use turn signals, text and drive, and drink and drive are putting everyone around them—and themselves—at risk.
- Slip or trip and fall accidents: Per California Civil Code (CIV) §1714, property owners have a legal responsibility to keep their property neat and as hazard-free as possible.
- Dog bites: Both stray dogs and dogs with known owners can attack for any number of reasons.
- Medical malpractice: Your doctor has a duty to inform you about all risks and health care options and use reasonable judgment in treating you. Failure to do so, per the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), may result in a so-called “never event.”
If you or a loved one was injured by an accident like the ones listed above, you may be entitled to compensation. While you can file a lawsuit by yourself, hiring a lawyer can make things easier on you. Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices proudly serves accident victims in Downey, California, and other communities throughout the state. We would be happy to help you as well. To get started, all you have to do is call. Our number is (888) 522-6291.
Recovering the Compensation You Need
The word “compensation” can be used interchangeably with terms like damages, monetary compensation, and other similar variants. All of these terms mean the same thing: money awarded to accident victims who were injured due to someone else’s actions.
You may be entitled to compensation if your physical, emotional, or financial welfare suffered after the accident.
Physical and emotional harm—often referred to as non-economic damages—include any injuries you experienced as a result of the accident. Examples may include but are not limited to:
- Disability: such as the loss of a limb via amputation or the loss of use of a limb due to chronic pain or other symptoms
- Pain and suffering: such as the decline in your well-being (either physical or mental) caused by the accident
- Reduced quality of life: such as your inability to independently manage basic tasks of living (e.g., bathing) that you had no trouble with before
- Scarring: such as obvious or disfiguring marks left by your injuries
Financial harm—often referred to as economic damages—includes any money you spent or lost because of the accident. Examples may include but are not limited to:
- Medical expenses: such as the cost of emergency care, prescriptions, physical therapy, or any other treatments you needed
- Other expenses: such as the cost of hiring a housekeeper to clean your house because your injuries make it impossible to do so yourself
- Loss of wages: such as the salary that your injuries prevented you from earning for days, weeks, or longer after the accident
- Loss of earning capacity: such as your inability to work as many hours as before or perform a job that pays a comparable salary to your pre-accident job
Getting Help from a Downey Personal Injury Lawyer
Your accident has had an impact on multiple—if not all—areas of your life. Instead of adding more stress to an already stressful situation, let a personal injury lawyer take the lead in your lawsuit. Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices has decades of experience with helping people just like you fight for justice and the money they deserve.
How do we do it? By remaining dedicated to you and your case from beginning to end. Among other things, we can:
- Find evidence: Your lawyer will look through your medical records, surveillance footage, police reports, and any other evidence that may corroborate your claims.
- Calculate damages: Your lawyer can make sure that you are asking for all possible types of damages and that you are not leaving money on the table.
- Communicate with the liable party: We will make sure the liable party receives any messages from you and vice versa. We will also notify them about your lawsuit.
- Negotiate for you: Getting a fair settlement is not always easy. Let your lawyer do the hard work of negotiating with the insurance company.
- Represent you in court: Unfortunately, negotiating is not always an option. In that case, your lawyer can take your case to trial and do their utmost to convince a jury to award you damages.
- Defer payment: Do not worry about paying our fees. We charge nothing until you get money. If we cannot get you any money, then you do not have to pay us anything.
Most important of all, your lawyer will always be there for you. They will contact you on a regular basis to update you on your lawsuit’s status, and you are always encouraged to contact them if you have questions. At no point will you be left to fend for yourself or make a legal decision without our support and guidance.
No matter what type of accident caused your injuries, it was undoubtedly a stressful, painful, and even traumatizing event. You do not have to add to your burden by handling a lawsuit all by yourself. Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291 and see what a Downey personal injury lawyer can do for you.
Call or text 866-559-7223 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form