It is important to know your rights after a personal injury accident. Accepting a smaller amount of money than you deserve in a settlement offer could mean that you are left with out-of-pocket expenses.
Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices has experience defending clients in a wide range of personal injury cases. We can help you figure out what types of compensation the responsible party may owe you and then build a strong case demanding it. Let a Baldwin Park personal injury lawyer from our firm do the heavy lifting in your case while you recover from your injuries.
To learn more in a free case review with our personal injury team, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices today at (888) 522-6291.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
At the root of all personal injury cases is an act of negligence—something someone either did or failed to do that harmed someone else. This can be as simple as running a stop sign and causing a car accident or as complicated as releasing a prescription drug to the public without putting adequate warning labels on the packaging.
Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices takes on many types of personal injury cases. We might be able to help you if you were hurt by:
- An automobile accident
- A boating accident
- A dog bite
- A slip and fall
- A premises liability accident
- A construction accident
- Another type of accident caused by someone else’s negligence
Many people have questions after an accident over who was responsible and if they may deserve compensation for their injuries. The team at Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices encourages anyone with these types of questions to call us and learn more in a free case review. Keep in mind that in California, you can still recover compensation even if you were partially at fault for the accident.
Dealing with the Responsible Party’s Insurance Company
It is not uncommon for an insurance agent to call an accident victim to discuss the case. If you receive a phone call like this, there are a few important things you must know:
- The insurance agent can use things that you say about the accident against you, especially admissions of fault.
- You do not need to speak to the other party’s insurance company at all until you are ready.
- If you hire a lawyer, they can speak to the insurance companies for you. This way, you cannot accidentally tell them something that will harm your case.
Other times, you may receive an offer of money from the insurance company, either verbally or in the form of a letter, to resolve the accident. While it can be incredibly tempting to say yes to a settlement offer—especially if you are stressed out and ready to put this event behind you—it may not be in your best interest to accept it. This is because:
- Most settlement offers are final, meaning once you take the money, you have to sign a document saying the responsible party owes you nothing else.
- If you accept a settlement and find out you have other accident-related expenses later on, you may be stuck paying those out of your own pocket.
- You could legally be entitled to a broad range of damages, including future care costs and non-economic damages, like pain and suffering.
You do not need to deal with the stress of speaking with the insurance companies and making important financial decisions on your own. A Baldwin Park personal injury lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices can run your case for you. When you hire us to represent you, all the calls and communications between you and the insurance company will go through us.
We will conduct a thorough review of your damages (further discussed below) and make sure you are demanding the full amount you may be entitled to receive. We will always be there for you to provide information and legal advice so you feel good about the decisions you are making.
To get started with a free case review from our client intake team, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices today at (888) 522-6291.
Baldwin Park Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 888-522-6291
Personal Injury Damages in California
There are many types of damages that you may be entitled to after a personal injury accident. According to the California Civil Code (CIV) §1431.2, victims in a personal injury case may be able to recover compensation for:
- All current and future costs of accident-related medical treatment, from emergency care to ongoing rehabilitation needs
- The income you could not earn while recovering from your injuries
- Repairing or replacing any property that got damaged in the accident
- Substitute domestic services for tasks you cannot manage during your recovery, e.g., childcare or cleaning services
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Injury to reputation
There could be other types of damages available in your case as well. Getting a full understanding of your damages and their values is key to entertaining any settlement offers.
Evidence of the Value of Your Damages
When you work with Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices, we will calculate the value of your damages using evidence such as:
- Bills and receipts from your medical treatment
- Invoices for the cost of fixing your damaged property
- Income and employment documents that depict your loss of income
- Statements from medical professionals regarding your pain and suffering
If you have any documents or evidence related to your losses from the accident, share these with your legal team.
The Steps Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices Will Take to Defend You
Although every personal injury case is different, here is an outline of the steps we may take during representation:
- Once you sign on, we will discuss the possible outcomes of your case and help you decide on a strategy to pursue compensation.
- We will immediately take over all communications and paperwork for you.
- We will explore your accident, figure out who was responsible, and collect evidence of how their negligence caused your injuries.
- Once we have gathered all evidence and estimated the value of your damages, we will submit an insurance claim and/or personal injury lawsuit against the responsible party.
- Next, we may engage with the insurance company in settlement negotiations. We will bring any offer they make to you for your decision.
- If the responsible party does not make you a settlement offer that fairly compensates you, we will take your case to trial instead.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Give Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices a Call Today
Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices wants to help you. The sooner you call us, the sooner a Baldwin Park personal injury lawyer from our firm can get to work on your case.
When you are ready to learn more, call our staff at (888) 522-6291.