Are scooters dangerous? What should I know about scooter accidents?
Scooters and electric scooters are becoming more popular across the country as a great alternative to local transportation. However, they also come with safety problems, especially on congested California roads. Scooter accidents can leave people with devastating injuries, that can lead to lifelong consequences.
If you or a loved one rides scooters, you must know some basic information to help you appropriately react to a scooter accident. Here is a brief guide on scooter accidents and how you should deal with them:
How Many Scooter Accidents Happen In A Year?
Scooter accidents can happen more frequently than you think. In an article published by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), they shared that use of scooters, hoverboards, and e-bikes shot up over the years as people used them to travel to work or school. They reminded users to prioritize safety, but accidents are often inevitable with these micromobility vehicles. Below are figures observed from 2017 to 2020.
According to the US CPSC‘s data:
- From 2017 through 2020: more than 190,000 emergency room (ED) visits due to all micromobility products. ED visits had a steady 70% increase:
- 34,000 in 2017
- 44,000 in 2018
- 54,800 in 2019
- 57,800 in 2020
- Between 2017 and later years: ED visits involving e-scooters rose three times as much:
- 7,700 in 2017
- 14,500 in 2018
- 27,700 in 2019
- 25,400 in 2020
- Injuries happened most frequently to:
- Upper limbs
- Lower limbs
The US CPSC also shared that they have recorded 71 fatalities associated with micromobility products from 2017 through 2020. However, it they noted that this report is not accurate and is still partial. You can read the full article on the US CPSC’s website here.
Common Causes in California
Based on the US CPSC’s data, it’s safe to say that scooter accidents can happen at any time and place. These scooters are very trendy in California, including cities in Santa Monica, San Diego, Los Angeles, and more. As a matter of fact, Jacoby and Meyers has already represented scooter accident victims in legal claims in the past. Some of the most common causes of scooter accidents we’ve seen include:
- Inexperienced riders
- Unsafe road conditions
- Damaged pavement
- Scooter vandalism
- Mechanical malfunctions
- Scooter operators under the influence of a substance
- Car doors opening
- Other negligent scooter operators
- Negligent car drivers
- Work crews / construction
Damages from these accidents can leave people in terrible situations. They can also cause severe injuries or even death. Once bad turns to worse, a scooter accident lawyer can also give you valuable advice and help you pick up the pieces of your accident’s aftermath. You can learn more about scooter accident lawyers here.
What To Do After A Scooter Accident
If you got involved in a scooter accident, you must treat it like any other traffic crash. You can also take these next steps after the crash:
- Seek immediate medical attention.
- If your injuries are severe, call emergency services for an ambulance.
- Request a police officer to take a report.
- If you can, look to see if there were any witnesses and get their information.
- Take pictures of the accident, including the general area.
- Get the other party’s contact information.
However, the US CPSC noted that you must always anticipate mishaps and protect yourself. Preventive measures can also help avoid injuries from scooter or e-scooter crashes. These also include the following:
- Wear a helmet and other additional protective gear.
- Check the scooter for damage or defects before riding it.
- Test essential scooter functions, such as brakes.
- Use road safety devices to keep you visible on the road.
- Avoid road obstructions.
- Ride slow, steady, and responsibly.
Watch the video above from Electric Scooter Guide to learn more about Riding Safety.
Scooter Accident Liability
If you become a victim of a scooter accident, you can file a claim to receive compensation. However, finding out who’s at fault can require a lot of work to prove. Also, proving the extent of fault can go from simple to complex very quickly because your case can have more than one at-fault party. As a victim, you can pursue compensation from:
- Negligent scooter drivers
- Negligent motorists
- The city, due to unsafe roads
- Other entities who caused road obstructions
- Scooter manufacturers or providers due to defective or unmaintained scooters
Recovering from an injury is stressful enough. Although, you don’t need to do it all on your own. You can consult a scooter accident attorney if you need help building your case. Experienced Los Angeles and Carlsbad scooter accident lawyers know the evidence you need and the people to talk to you. They also have access to legal experts who can help establish the burden of proof. You can learn more here.
How Can An Accident Lawyer Help With Your Case?
If you’re a victim of a scooter crash, a capable attorney can help you get compensation from various options. Some options that can cover your costs include:
- Health insurance
- Automobile insurance
- Homeowners’ or renters’ insurance
- Personal liability umbrella insurance
- Scooter insurance
However, your options can only become available after reviewing the details of your circumstances. A scooter accident lawyer will exhaust all possibilities to cover your damages. Whether the liable party is the city, another scooter rider, e-scooter manufacturer, or motorist, experienced scooter accident lawyers will establish your case. They will help you get maximum compensation.
In addition, a scooter accident attorney can help you:
- Prove negligence
- Define the Cost of Damages
- Build a strong claim
- Negotiate a Settlement
- Proceed with important deadlines in mind
Give us a call today at 888-960-0480 for a free consultation. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to help you.
Call or text 888-522-6291 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form