Car accident victims may be able to recover compensation for their injuries and the ways the accident impacted their life. If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident in El Monte, Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices can help. An El Monte car accident lawyer from our firm can make sure you are aware of your legal options and help you make decisions regarding your case.
To find out more, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291. Our car accident team provides case evaluations at no charge.
Even One Mistake Can Cause an Accident
Car accidents can happen to anyone at any time, whether you are behind the wheel of your own vehicle or walking across the street. Even when you are doing your best to keep yourself and everyone around you safe, another party’s negligence can cause you or a loved one serious harm.
Your accident may have been caused by the careless or reckless behavior of a:
- Driver: Not all drivers realize just how serious of a responsibility they have. They may drink before getting behind the wheel, ignore driving laws, or allow themselves to be distracted by electronic devices.
- Company: If the driver who hit you was a worker on the job at the time, their employer might be deemed at least partly liable for the accident.
- Manufacturer: In some cases, a faulty car part (e.g., the steering column or the brakes) could malfunction and cause or contribute to a collision.
- Maintenance crew: Both the road and the vehicles on it must be checked and repaired from time to time. An inattentive or uncaring worker may miss obvious signs of danger that cause an accident.
If you were the victim of any one of these negligent behaviors, you might be able to file a personal injury lawsuit to seek monetary compensation. You can also file a wrongful death lawsuit if you lost a loved one in a car accident.
Getting the Compensation You Need
Car accident victims may qualify to receive compensation for a wide range of damages. The first question to consider when exploring your damages is: how has your car accident affected you financially? Maybe you had to spend some time in the hospital, take time off work, or quit your job entirely. All of these are examples of economic damages, which may include:
- Medical bills, if your injuries required medication, surgery, physical therapy, an assistive device, or any other treatment
- Repair bills, if you suffered property damage (particularly damage to your car) and had to pay to get it taken care of
- Loss of wages or benefits, if you had to miss work and forfeit income during your recovery
- Loss of earning capacity, if your injuries prevent you from working and/or earning as much as before, or from acquiring a higher-paying job
You may also be able to request compensation for the ways your accident cost you physically or mentally. These are referred to as non-economic damages and may include things like:
- Pain and suffering, if you experienced physical and/or psychological anguish because of the car accident and/or the resulting injuries
- Disability, if your injuries cost you the use of any part of your body, or it cost you that body part all together (e.g., via amputation)
- Disfigurement, if your appearance, physical abilities, and/or self-esteem have suffered due to accident-related scarring
- Quality of life, if you need help with the tasks of daily living (e.g., cleaning the house), or if your injuries prevent you from enjoying life the way you used to
If you are filing a wrongful death lawsuit, you may be eligible for other types of economic and/or non-economic damages. An attorney can help you figure out what you qualify for, no matter what type of lawsuit you are filing.
To learn more about what types of damages you may be able to recover, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291. A member of our staff is standing by to provide you with a free case review.
How an El Monte Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
When you work with Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices, we can support you by:
- Discussing your options: Any time you must make a legal decision in your case, your lawyer can make sure you understand your options and give you legal advice.
- Listing and calculating damages: We can help you create a complete and accurate list of damages to sue for.
- Doing the talking: You can relay messages from the liable party or their representatives through us, and we will communicate with them on your behalf.
- Pursuing compensation: Your lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company or take the liable party to trial if necessary.
- Getting paid when you get paid: Instead of charging upfront, we take our fee out of the compensation we help you win. If you are not awarded compensation, then you do not have to pay us.
Receive a Free Initial Consultation Today
To learn more about how an El Monte car accident lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices can help you, call our client intake team today at (888) 522-6291.
Note that there is a deadline to sue in California. If you were injured in a car accident, you typically have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit against the liable party, according to the California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1. This general two-year deadline also applies to wrongful death lawsuits.
Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices can give you more information about the deadlines in your case when you call.