If you were in a car accident, your first priority should be to get medical care, even if you do not think your injuries are that serious. Once you have received all necessary and proper treatment, you can call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291 for a free case review with our car accident team.
We can go over your legal options, which may include the possibility of filing an insurance claim or lawsuit against the party that caused your accident. We can also discuss how a Hawthorne car accident lawyer from our firm can help you with this process. Call us as soon as you are ready to start.
Table of Contents
The Toll and Causes of Car Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were over 6.7 million car accidents in the United States in 2019, which resulted in over 2.7 million injuries and over 36,000 fatalities.
Many of these accidents were caused by driver error, negligence, or recklessness. For example, collisions may be the result of:
- Speeding: Both exceeding the posted speed limit and driving too fast for the circumstances (e.g., during a rainstorm) are dangerous.
- Ignoring other driving laws: Failing to signal before a lane change, keep a safe distance from other cars, or yield the right of way can all lead to a crash.
- Driving drunk: The dangers of driving after drinking or taking drugs—both legal and illegal—are well known. Even a small amount can impair a driver’s judgment.
- Texting and driving: Phones and other devices can be fatally distracting. For that reason, the California Vehicle Code (VEH) §23123.5 makes it illegal for drivers to use certain electronic devices with their hands while operating their vehicles.
- Drowsy driving: Getting enough sleep is important when it comes to staying alert behind the wheel. A tired driver could nod off and cause an accident.
Other car accident causes include faulty car parts and environmental dangers (either bad weather or an issue with the roadway). In such cases, a manufacturer or a maintenance crew may be responsible for the collision.
Do you know who is responsible for your crash? If not, do not worry—Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices can investigate your accident and help you figure that out. Even if you believe you know the identity of the liable party, you may still benefit from a lawyer’s investigation, as they could uncover additional liable parties that you do not know about.
Seeking Damages After a Car Accident
A Hawthorne car accident lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices can, among other things, help you determine how much compensation you may be able to recover. For example, if the accident cost you money, you might be eligible for economic damages. Economic damages may include:
- Medical costs: If you needed medicine, surgery, therapy, or other treatments
- Repair costs: If you needed to repair or replace your car, or if you needed to rent a car until yours was fixed
- Loss of income: If your injuries prevented you from going to work and earning a living
- Loss of earning capacity: If your injuries permanently prevent you from earning as much money as before
Non-economic damages work a bit differently. They serve as direct compensation for your injuries themselves. You may qualify for non-economic damages if you experienced:
- Disfigurement: If the accident left you with obvious, painful, or upsetting scars
- Disability: If the accident cost you the use (or partial use) of any part of your mind or body
- Pain and suffering: If the accident caused or worsened your physical and/or mental condition
- Loss of consortium: If the accident has had a negative effect on one or more aspects of your marriage (emotional connection, conjugal relationship, etc.)
You have the right to sue for compensation, but only for a short while. This is because California places a general two-year time limit on submitting a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit, per California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1.
To learn more about your legal options and the deadlines in your case, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices as soon as you are able. You can reach our car accident team at (888) 522-6291.
A Lawsuit Is Hard Work
If you are worried that you will not be able to handle the stress of a lawsuit, consider hiring Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices to represent you. One of our lawyers can give you the chance to rest and recover from your injuries by assuming responsibility for legal tasks like:
- Exploring courses of action: Let us explain your legal options and help you pick the one that suits your needs.
- Filing paperwork: Your lawyer can either double-check your paperwork before you submit it or file everything on your behalf.
- Meeting with the insurance company: If the insurance company shows a willingness to negotiate, we will fight hard to recover compensation for you.
- Valuing your case: How much can you sue for? Your lawyer can help you figure it out. They may even identify sources of compensation that you did not realize you may qualify for.
- Scheduling court dates: If we cannot get what you need through negotiations, we are not afraid to take your case to trial and represent you in the courtroom.
- Staying connected: We believe in keeping our clients informed and updated at all times.
Reach Out to Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices Today
If you still have questions about your case, Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices would be happy to answer them and, when you are ready, to assign a Hawthorne car accident lawyer from our firm to manage your case.
Contact our client intake team today at (888) 522-6291 to begin. You will not pay any fees until you are awarded damages, so you do not have to worry about whether you can afford our services.