Most people go through life without being injured due to someone else’s carelessness. But for those who find themselves facing potentially permanent injuries and a stack of medical bills and other expenses, the situation can be very serious.
Fortunately, California law allows an accident victim to bring a personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation for their damages. If you are overwhelmed by the idea of bringing a case to civil court, a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process.
Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices assists personal injury accident victims with exploring their right to compensation. We handle a wide variety of accident types and want to make sure you are treated fairly throughout the process. To learn more about working with a Lakewood personal injury lawyer, call our office at (888) 522-6291.
Types of Personal Injury Accidents
One of the first questions that an accident victim in Lakewood has is whether the type of accident they experienced is covered under personal injury law. There are many different common examples of personal injury accidents:
- Motor vehicle accidents: This includes accidents involving various kinds of vehicles. Car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and bicycle accidents all fall into this category.
- Dog bites: Some pets can cause devastating injuries, disfigurement, and emotional trauma. California has passed laws that hold dog owners strictly liable for dog bites in many situations, according to California Civil Code (CIV) §3342.
- Premises liability: When a property owner fails to keep their property in a safe condition, and you are hurt as a result, you can hold them responsible. This includes slip and falls, broken staircases, tripping accidents, and more.
- Construction accidents: Construction workers face some of the most dangerous job conditions out of all occupations. In some cases, an injured worker may be able to bring a civil suit instead of or in addition to a workers’ compensation claim.
- Wrongful death: In the unfortunate situation that your loved one lost his or her life in a personal injury accident, California law allows you to take legal action on their behalf. In a wrongful death lawsuit, you can seek compensation for any expenses linked to the accident as well as for funeral costs, burial costs, and your pain and suffering.
There may be other accident types that fall under personal injury law in California.
A Lakewood personal injury lawyer can help you explore your situation and identify your legal options.To speak with someone at Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices about your potential case, call (888) 522-6291.
Pursuing Compensation in a Lawsuit
If you decide to pursue compensation, you may end up needing to file a civil lawsuit against the person or companies responsible for your injuries. In some situations, the other party may be willing to settle your claim without filing a lawsuit.
Negotiations can break down in the blink of an eye, however, so it is always good to be prepared to take your action to court if it becomes necessary.
In a personal injury lawsuit, the plaintiff must typically show that the defendant acted negligently. There are four steps to establishing someone’s negligence:
- Duty: First, you must prove the person who caused your injuries owed you a duty.
- Breach: Second, you must show the other person failed to act according to this duty.
- Causation: Third, you must show their failure to act according to this duty was the direct and foreseeable cause of your injuries.
- Damages: Finally, you must show proof of your damages and the compensation you claim in the lawsuit.
The level and type of duty that someone owes you depends on various factors. In general, drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles with reasonable care and skill. Property owners must generally warn guests about dangerous conditions on the property, too.
If you are curious about whether the person who injured you owed you a duty of care but failed to meet it, then working with a personal injury lawyer could help you get the legal counsel you need.
Common Damages in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
One of the biggest concerns an accident victim has is figuring out whether they will have any help with accident-related expenses. Although some personal injury accidents lead to minor injuries that heal quickly, others can leave the victim with a lifetime of ongoing medical care needs.
Overall, an accident victim can receive compensation for any expense or injury directly related to the accident. Here are a few common types of damages that an accident victim may pursue in a personal injury lawsuit in California:
- Medical bills
- Emergency transportation costs
- Physical therapy sessions
- Lost earnings
- Reduced earning capacity
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
There may be other expenses that you can claim in the lawsuit, which is why it can be helpful to seek guidance from a Lakewood personal injury lawyer. In the meantime, save copies of any crash-related expenses you incurred. If you are not sure whether something may qualify as damages in your potential lawsuit, keep a copy just in case.
Learn How a Lawyer Can Assist You
Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices may be able to help you pursue the compensation that you deserve after a painful and unnecessary personal injury accident. We offer a free consultation so that you can discuss your situation. Call us now at (888) 522-6291.
Call or text 866-559-7223 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form