Personal injuries can happen for any number of reasons, including motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall accidents, construction accidents, and more. Some result only in minor injuries, but others can be catastrophic for both the victim and their loved ones. A Whittier personal injury lawyer can help you understand your rights and fight for all of the compensation you deserve. Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291 to find out more.
Who Is at Risk for Personal Injury Accidents
Your risk of being in an accident increases as you get older. For example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that a quarter of all Americans age 65 and older will fall in a given year.
Accidents can occur just about anywhere: on the street, in the home, at the store, or even at work. Some jobs are more dangerous than others, and some workers are more susceptible to injuries. According to a news release published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), older workers (those aged 55 and older) are at a higher risk of being killed in a workplace accident; in 2019, 38 percent of workplace fatalities involved an older worker.
This, of course, does not mean that younger people do not get into accidents, work-related or otherwise. It simply means that older individuals should be especially cautious as they go about their business. If you do end up in an accident, and if that accident was caused by someone else’s carelessness, do what you can to protect yourself: seek medical treatment immediately, and then talk to a lawyer about your options.
You May Be Able to Receive a Settlement
Legal battles can be time-consuming and expensive. As a result, the liable party’s insurance company—who is legally responsible for paying your compensation—will likely agree to pretrial negotiations in the hopes of avoiding the courtroom. This is good news for you, as you may not have to go to trial and wait through a lengthy trial to get your money.
Before discussing the legal process further, let us look at the types of damages your injuries may entitle you to.
There Are Two Kinds of Damages
What are economic damages and non-economic damages, and how do you qualify for them? Economic damages are for accident victims who suffered any sort of monetary loss, while non-economic damages are for those who suffered any sort of physical or mental injury. You could qualify for one or both types of damages.
Economic damages include any and all forms of financial harm, such as:
- Medical costs: Your injuries were serious enough that you had to see a doctor or other medical professional.
- Miscellaneous expenses: You need(ed) to hire any sort of service (e.g., a landscaping company) to take care of chores you normally do yourself.
- Lost wages: You could not work (or could not work as much) while you were in recovery.
- Reduced earning capacity: You will never reach the same level of productivity as before, which makes it harder to earn a living.
Non-economic damages include any and all forms of physical and mental harm, such as:
- Pain and suffering: You have had to deal with physical and/or psychological distress stemming from the accident.
- Scarring: Your appearance and/or range of motion have been affected by accident-related scars.
- Lost quality of life: You can no longer live as you used to and require help from others to bathe, dress, cook, clean, and so on.
- Disability: You lost (or lost the use of) one or more body parts, such as a limb or an organ.
Your right to file a lawsuit is limited by the California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1. However, this statute also gives you just two years from the date of the injury to begin your suit. A Whittier personal injury lawyer can help you sort through your options and fight for a fair settlement. To find out more, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291.
Hiring a Lawyer May Make the Legal Process Easier for You
If you are still not sure what compensation you qualify for or even if you want to file a lawsuit at all, that is just fine. Although there is a time limit on your ability to sue for damages, it is not a good idea to rush such important legal decisions. You can and should collect as much information as you can before you decide on anything.
One way to collect information is by speaking with Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices. We can assess your case for free. If you then decide to hire us, we will work closely with you to figure out and implement the best plan of action. We will also handle all legal tasks, including:
- Investigating the accident, so you have proof to support your claim for compensation and know for sure that you are suing the right party
- Filing paperwork, so you know that all forms are being handled properly and in a timely manner
- Communicating with the liable party, so you do not have to speak to them or their representatives by yourself
- Negotiating with the insurer, so you can be sure you are getting the maximum possible settlement
- Keeping you updated, so you never have to wonder what is going on with your case or worry about making big legal decisions without guidance
Only after we have successfully recovered compensation for you will we accept payment.
Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices serves Whittier, California, and other communities throughout the state. We would be more than happy to serve you as well. A Whittier personal injury lawyer can help you build and present your case, all at no upfront cost. Call us at (888) 522-6291 when you are ready to get started.