Losing a loved one is one of the hardest things you will ever have to go through. This is especially true if their passing came unexpectedly and left you with a diminished household income or extra bills.
A Los Angeles fatal car accident lawyer can help you pursue the compensation you and your family may deserve through a wrongful death claim. Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291 for a free consultation with our car accident team. We charge no fees unless you receive compensation.
Even a Small Mistake Can Cause a Fatal Accident
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 3,500 people died in motor vehicle crashes in California in 2018.
If you lost a loved one in a car accident, you probably have a lot of questions about how to move forward, as well as how the accident happened. Fatal accidents can occur for a number of reasons, including:
- Driver error: Drivers can commit all kinds of errors behind the wheel, such as speeding, taking their eyes off the road (to look at a cell phone, perhaps), or failing to obey traffic signals.
- Manufacturer error: It is the auto manufacturer’s responsibility to test all products thoroughly and recall any faulty products as quickly as possible. Failure to do so can result in deadly collisions.
- Maintenance error: If a maintenance worker does not do their job properly, they may miss obvious defects in a vehicle or on a roadway (depending on what they have been hired to maintain).
If your loved one’s accident was caused by another party’s negligent or thoughtless behavior, you might be able to sue that party for compensation. A Los Angeles fatal car accident lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices can ease you through this process and give you more time to spend with your family.
Call our office at (888) 522-6291 whenever you are ready to begin. We offer free case reviews.
You May Sue for a Limited Time Only
A statute of limitations is any law that defines how long an accident victim (or their family) has to file a lawsuit. According to California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1, the statute of limitations for wrongful death lawsuits is generally two years from the date of your loved one’s death. So long as this deadline has not passed, you may still qualify to file a lawsuit.
What types of damages may your loss entitle you to? That depends on things like the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s death and your relationship with them. In general, wrongful death damages may include:
- Costs of medical care: If your loved one received any type of professional medical treatment for their injuries prior to their passing
- End-of-life expenses: If you paid to bury your loved one, hold a funeral service, and so on
- Loss of financial support: If you were reliant on your loved one’s income to support your family and maintain your lifestyle
- Loss of love, affection, companionship, or guidance: For family members who have been deprived of their loved one’s company
Other types of damages may be available in a wrongful death case. The value of wrongful death damages varies from case to case.
Los Angeles Fatal Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 888-522-6291
Legal Representation Can Make Things Easier for You
On behalf of the team at Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices, we are very sorry for your loss. If you allow us, we can make the wrongful death process easier for you and your family by assuming all of your legal responsibilities. These may include:
Conducting an Investigation
Whether you were involved in the accident or not, it is important to support your claim and testimony with hard evidence, such as:
- The crash report
- Photos of the scene
- Medical records
- Surveillance footage
- Witness statements or recordings
Your lawyer will collect evidence from all available sources to build your case.
You do not have to speak with or meet with the liable party or their representatives; we will represent you at all meetings. We will also take care of all of the paperwork, including filing your lawsuit with the court and sending the proper notification to the liable party.
Do not worry about going to court just yet: many claims are settled at the negotiating table. Your lawyer will work hard to get the liable party’s insurance company to make you a fair settlement offer. If your case does end up in court, your lawyer will represent you there as well.
Answering Questions and Giving Advice
We know that claims can be confusing and that making big decisions can be especially difficult when you are still grieving. Any time you need answers or advice, do not hesitate to pick up the phone. Our firm will make sure that you have all of the information you need to make the best choices for you and your family.
Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices Today
No amount of monetary compensation can make up for the loss of your loved one. However, with the damages you may be able to recover in a wrongful death claim, you will have one less thing to worry about as you rebuild your life.
Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291 for a free case evaluation with our car accident team. We have helped people just like you in Los Angeles. The sooner you call us, the sooner a Los Angeles fatal car accident lawyer from our firm can get started on your case.