Rollover accidents have a higher risk of injury due to their nature. Both occupants inside the rolling vehicles and road users who get hit by a rolling vehicle are at risk for severe injuries and even death.
If you or a loved one was a victim of a rollover accident in Los Angeles, you might be able to pursue compensation for any losses you suffered. A Los Angeles rollover accident lawyer can manage your claim or lawsuit and help you fight for the financial recovery of your damages.
Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices today at (888) 522-6291 for a free case evaluation. There is no obligation, and our team works on a contingency-fee-basis, so you do not owe any attorney’s fees unless we win your case.
Rollover Accidents Can Cause Traumatic Injuries
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) splits rollover accidents into two categories: tripped and un-tripped accidents. About 95% of rollover accidents are considered tripped, in that the vehicle tips over sideways and either falls over onto soft soil or hits a guardrail.
Untripped rollover accidents are rarer, occurring at only five percent, and generally affect top-heavy vehicles. These accidents occur when vehicles turn or swerve at high speeds and lose balance.
Both types of rollover accidents can cause traumatic injuries, such as:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) or other types of head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Loss of limbs or injuries that require amputation later on
- Burns, scarring, and disfigurement
- Internal bleeding or organ damage
If you sustained a severe injury in a rollover accident, consider working with a lawyer to help you pursue compensation for your medical expenses and personal damages.
If Your Case Led to Your Loved One’s Death
The unfortunate reality of many rollover accidents is that they can lead to death. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), over 2,500 rollover accidents resulted in a fatality in 2017, accounting for eight percent of all total fatal crashes. Similarly, the NHTSA reports that two causal factors had major involvement in rollover accidents: speeding (about 40 percent of crashes) and alcohol (about 50 percent of crashes).
Family members mourning the loss of a loved one may pursue compensation if they qualify under California law to do so. According to the California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §337.60, you might be eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit if you are the decedent’s:
- Spouse or registered domestic partner
- Child, including stepchild
- A parent or legal guardian
- Personal representative if no surviving spouses, domestic partners, children, parents, or legal guardians remain
Losing someone you love is always hard to deal with, especially when their death comes as a shock and occurred in a preventable accident. The team at Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices understands that you might not feel like you have the strength to go through with a legal case, which is why we want to help you. Let us be a shoulder to rely on while we manage your case and fight for the compensation you and your family need.
Tell us your story. Call (888) 522-6291 today to speak with a representative of our firm and learn how a Los Angeles rollover accident lawyer can begin working on your case immediately.
How Long You Have to File
Your time to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit is limited. All plaintiffs must make sure to submit their cases by their filing deadlines, which are determined by the statutes of limitations. This deadline varies by state (in some cases, by case type as well), so you may need to consult your legal team if your accident took place outside of California.
In California, however, you generally have two years from the date of injury or death to file your lawsuit, per the CCP §335.1. If you do not file your case on time, you might not be able to compel the at-fault party to pay for your damages.
You Might Be Owed More Compensation than You Realize
Some people think the only compensation they will be able to get is money for their car repair bills and that it might not be worth the trouble of going through the litigation process. That is not always the case. Your lawyer can assess your damages and create a litany of personal grievances you have gone through to calculate the value of your case.
You might be able to receive compensation for damages related to your injuries, such as:
- Medical treatment expenses, including costs for emergency care, surgeries, physical therapy, and medicine
- The income you lost while having to stay home from work to heal from your injuries (or if you had to stay in a hospital or care facility)
- Mileage costs for traveling to doctor’s appointments or treatment services
- Costs for assisted living services if your injuries prevent you from living independently and performing daily activities, such as home care, cooking, and childcare
You might also be able to receive compensation for damages related to your vehicle and other property:
- Costs for repairing your vehicle or damaged property
- The cash value of your vehicle, if it was totaled
- Transportation costs, if you needed to pay for alternative modes of transportation while your car was being fixed
If you lost a loved one in a rollover accident, you might be able to receive compensation for:
- Funeral costs, including costs for their burial or cremation
- Your loved one’s medical debts, if they received treatment for their fatal injuries
- Loss of financial support from your loved one
- Loss of consortium
Depending on your case, you might also receive compensation for your pain and suffering. Your lawyer may explain these kinds of damages in more detail.
Have Your Case Reviewed by Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices
Rollover accidents can be chaotic, and the aftermath does not necessarily get any clearer. If you or a loved one is still struggling to cope with the damages that came from a rollover accident, let Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices take a look at your case and see what we can do to help you recover from your losses.
Call (888) 522-6291 today to hire a Los Angeles rollover accident lawyer from our team. When you call, you can also receive a free consultation and get more information about what we might be able to do to help you with your case.