All car accidents are scary, but there is something especially terrifying about being hit head-on by another vehicle. If you were hurt in this type of accident, a Los Angeles head-on collision lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices may be able to fight on your behalf for fair compensation.
To learn more in a free case review with a member of our team, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices today at (888) 522-6291.
Table of Contents
Head-On Collision Causes
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reports that, in 2017, over 277,000 people were injured in over 193,000 car accidents in California. How do these accidents happen? Many car accident causes can fit into one of the following three categories:
Drivers are human, and humans make mistakes. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), errors may be more likely to occur if a driver is distracted or under the influence of either drugs or alcohol.
Driver errors or negligence may include:
- Ignoring traffic lights or signals
- Changing lanes improperly
- Not yielding the right of way
- Driving in the wrong direction
Whose fault is it when a motor vehicle malfunctions? Sometimes, it is the vehicle owner’s fault for not having their vehicle properly maintained. Other times, the maintenance company hired to inspect and repair the vehicle may not have done their job properly. Finally, an auto part manufacturer may be held responsible if they failed to either test their product properly or recall faulty products in a timely fashion.
While this can certainly refer to bad weather, it also includes material hazards left in or by the roadway that may affect visibility, block your path, and so on. In this case, whoever is responsible for maintaining the roadway may be at fault.
Even if you do not know who is legally liable for your accident, a Los Angeles vehicle accident attorney from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices may be able to help you. One of our jobs is to investigate our clients’ accidents and find out who they can file suit against.
A representative of Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices can tell you more about your options during one fast and free phone call. Contact us at (888) 522-6291 for your initial consultation.
You May Be Eligible for Two Types of Damages
Once you (or your lawyer) have identified all of the liable parties, you can file a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit against them. In general, two types of damages that may be available in a car accident case—economic and non-economic.
If you sue for economic damages, you are asking for money to help cover your accident-related expenses and financial losses. Examples may include:
- Cost of repairs: if your car was damaged, forcing you to get it fixed or even to replace it. You may also seek reimbursement for car rental expenses if you had to rent a car while waiting for your own vehicle to get out of the shop.
- Cost of medical treatment: if your injuries required prescription medication, therapy, follow-up visits with a doctor, and so on.
- Loss of wages: if your injuries prevented you from going to work and earning the salary that your family depends on.
- Loss of employment: if your injuries make it impossible for you to ever return to your old job, or if you were fired because of your injuries.
If you sue for non-economic damages, you are asking for money to make up for the physical and psychological effects of the crash. Examples may include:
- Pain and suffering: if your injuries were (or are) the source of great physical and/or emotional distress.
- Disfigurement: if you have scars or other noticeable marks left over from your accident injuries.
- Disability: if you either lost a part of your body (e.g., amputation) or lost the use of a part of your body (e.g., nerve damage).
- Reduced quality of life: if everyday activities (e.g., putting on shoes) or enjoyable hobbies (e.g., running) are now impossible for you to do without help.
How Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices May Be Able to Help You
The legal process can be long and draining, especially for someone who is still recovering from a head-on collision. Instead of putting yourself through all of that, Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices may be able to manage your case on your behalf. Because we work on a contingency-fee-basis, our services will cost you nothing until we help you recover compensation. In the meantime, we can:
- Look for evidence: documentary evidence, such as police reports or photos of the scene, can strengthen your case and may help you prove that the party you are suing is liable for your injuries.
- Calculate damages: we can review your damages and may even be able to suggest damages you had not considered suing for. We can also collect evidence of the value of your damages.
- Submit all forms: it can be easy to get lost in the reams of paperwork a lawsuit generates. Your lawyer can make sure everything is filled out correctly and submitted on time.
- Represent you at meetings: depending on your case, this can mean negotiating with an insurance company, arguing your case in court, or both.
- Guide you: we may be handling your legal tasks, but this is still your case. Feel free to ask for advice whenever you need it.
Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices Today
Every car accident is different. Some only result in property damage; others leave serious injuries in their wake. Some involve alcohol or other dangerous substances; many do not.
No matter how your accident occurred, Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices may be able to help you. If you qualify, a Los Angeles head-on collision lawyer from our firm can manage all of the legal work in your case while you dedicate your time and energy to your recovery.
For a free case review with a member of our team, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices today at (888) 522-6291.