Many accident victims sustain severe traumatic brain injuries due to someone else’s carelessness. This type of injury can happen in many different situations, from car accidents to slip and falls. Although there may not be any visible signs of this injury, it can affect nearly every aspect of how you live your life. Many people who suffer traumatic brain injuries require extensive medical treatment and ongoing therapy. In extreme cases, the victim may end up suffering from permanent disabilities.
Consider hiring a Los Angeles traumatic brain injury lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices. We represent victims of personal injury accidents and help them pursue the compensation they are entitled to receive after an accident. We understand how a traumatic brain injury can affect your quality of life. We provide a free consultation to discuss your accident and help you learn more about what your legal options may be. Call now at (888) 522-6291.
Signs of a Traumatic Brain Injury
It can be difficult to determine whether you have suffered a traumatic brain injury after a personal injury accident. An important step to take if you have not already done so is to consult a medical professional to receive a full examination of your injuries and symptoms.
A doctor can perform certain tests to determine if you have a traumatic brain injury. Receiving the right diagnosis not only helps ensure that you receive the medical treatment you need, but it also builds a record of evidence for your potential claim against the person who hurt you.
Here are some common symptoms that traumatic brain injury victims experience:
- Memory loss
- Disorientation and confusion
- Trouble learning or retaining new information
- Problems with vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Compromised speech
- Mood swings or personality changes
- Trouble sleeping
- Chronic fatigue
- Depression and anxiety
If you are diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, you probably feel overwhelmed and are unsure of how this injury will impact the rest of your life. Receiving appropriate medical care can help you address the symptoms of your injury.
Holding Someone Responsible for Your Injuries
One of the first questions that an injury victim asks after suffering a traumatic brain injury is whether they can hold the person who caused the accident responsible for their injuries and damages. In California, a personal injury case requires the plaintiff to show that the defendant acted negligently.
There are four steps to establishing negligence:
- Duty of care: First, you must show that the other party owed you a duty of care. We all have a duty to act with the same reasonable care and skill that a prudent person would in the same situation. In the context of driving, this means following traffic laws, reducing speed during inclement weather conditions, and keeping our eyes on the road.
- Breach of duty of care: Second, you must show that the defendant failed to act according to this standard of care. A breach of duty can be driving while intoxicated, failing to warn someone about a dangerous condition on a property, and more.
- Causation: Third, you must show that the other party caused your accident and injuries. For instance, if you suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident, you would need to show that the other driver caused the collision.
- Damages: Lastly, you must have financial damages stemming from the incident that harmed you. This could include your medical bills, lost income, and rehabilitative costs.
Working with a Los Angeles traumatic brain injury lawyer can help you figure out whether the person who caused your accident breached their duty of care and whether they are responsible for your injuries. When our law firm takes your case, we can demonstrate all four elements of negligence to help you recover fair compensation for your damages.
To get started, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291.
Damages Available to Injury Victims
If you are able to prove that the other party failed to follow their duty of care, and they caused your injuries, you can request compensation to cover your expenses. Here are some common categories of damages that traumatic brain injury victims request after an injury accident:
- Emergency medical services
- Physical therapy
- Lost earnings
- Reduced earning capacity
- Impaired quality of life
- Pain and suffering
Your immediate family members may also be able to bring a claim for compensation to recover for the loss of your companionship, love, and support if your injuries are severe and likely permanent.
These are just a few examples of the damages that you can receive. In general, you are eligible to receive compensation for any expense that is a direct and foreseeable result of the accident.
Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices to Discuss Your Potential Case
If you were injured in a personal injury accident and suffered a traumatic brain injury, you can work with a Los Angeles traumatic brain injury lawyer to recover compensation. At Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices, we will work diligently to build a strong case on your behalf. Our team will gather evidence, discuss your rights with insurance companies, answer your questions about the process, and prepare for trial if necessary.
We can also negotiate a potential settlement on your behalf. You only have two years to bring your lawsuit, according to California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1, so do not wait to take action. Call now at (888) 522-6291.