After a slip and fall accident, monetary compensation may be just what you need to put your life back together. Getting it, however, is not always as easy as it should be. Let a Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer take the pressure off. Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices at (888) 522-6291 for a free case evaluation.
Slip and Fall Prevention Is Critical
If you own property, it is your responsibility to maintain it well so that visitors and employees do not have to worry about hurting themselves. This duty is not just common sense and good manners; it is also the law, as stated in the California Civil Code (CIV) §1714.
Maintaining your property may involve performing (or hiring someone else to perform) tasks such as the following:
- Fixing broken walkways or staircases
- Cleaning up spills
- Cutting the grass/trimming the foliage regularly
- Salting and shoveling walkways
- Installing handrails as appropriate
- Putting up warning signs as appropriate
If you can prove that the property owner acted negligently or recklessly, you may be able to collect monetary damages from them. The rest of this article will explain more about what you may be eligible for and how you can fight for it.
Asking for What You Need
When considering a lawsuit, the first thing you need to think about is the statute of limitations, a law that gives accident victims a certain amount of time to begin their lawsuits. All states set their own statutes, which may vary in length depending on the crime, the type of lawsuit you are filing, and who you are suing. The California Code of Civil Procedures (CCP) §335.1 sets the statute of limitations at two years for both personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits.
Assuming the statute of limitations has not passed, you may qualify for economic damages, non-economic damages, or both. It all depends on how the accident affected you. You can find an overview below.
The Difference Between Economic and Non-Economic Damages
In accident cases like yours, there are only two types of compensation you need to worry about. These are economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages will cover any money you lost through things like:
- Medical expenses, including the cost of treatment itself and, in certain circumstances, medical-related travel expenses
- Lost income and benefits, including any wages you could not earn while you stayed home to recuperate
- Lost earning capacity, including any wages you expected to earn in the future but will not be able to because of your injuries
- End-of-life expenses, including any funeral or estate settlement costs you covered after your loved one passed away
Non-economic damages are a bit different. Instead of compensating you for financial losses related to the crash, they will compensate you for the injuries themselves, such as:
- Disability, including changes to both your physical and your intellectual abilities
- Pain and suffering, including both the physical and emotional effects your injuries had on your health
- Reduced quality of life, including the fact that you will never again enjoy the same kind of independent, pain-free life you once led
- Loss of companionship, including the affection and guidance that your deceased loved one can no longer give you
A Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer can help you evaluate your damages. Get in touch with Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices today at (888) 522-6291.
Los Angeles Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 888-522-6291
A Lawyer’s Assistance
We understand if you are reluctant to hire a lawyer. Perhaps you feel it is too drastic a step or that you cannot afford lawyer’s fees. Only you and your family can decide if legal representation is worth it to you. As you are making this decision, keep the following two points in mind.
First, the liable party’s insurance company already has lawyers on their side. These lawyers will do everything possible to find inconsistencies in your case so that the insurance company can justify paying you less. Hiring a lawyer who is familiar with their methods and ways of thinking can make the legal process much less stressful for you.
Second, Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices will charge you nothing upfront. You only have to pay us after you have recovered compensation. If you recover no compensation, you owe us no fees.
What a Lawyer Can Do for You
If you hire a lawyer, they can handle all of the following on your behalf.
- The investigation: It is a good idea to back up your lawsuit with as much evidence as possible, including medical records and statements from witnesses.
- Communication: If you dread talking to the liable party or their representatives, do not worry. Your lawyer can represent you in all discussions with the other side.
- Paperwork: This is an inevitable part of any lawsuit. We will fill out and file everything for you.
- Negotiations: Your lawyer will meet with the insurance company and negotiate for what you need. They are not afraid to stand firm and fight.
- The trial: Many cases never go to trial. However, if yours does, you can depend on your lawyer to take care of everything, from the submission of documents to the presentation of oral arguments.
Best of all, you will not have to worry about making any legal decisions on your own. Your lawyer will always be there to explain all your options and advise you about next steps. They will also update you regularly about progress in your lawsuit, so you never have to wonder how things are going.
If you are in Los Angeles and need a lawyer to represent your interests, you can depend on Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices. A Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer from our firm may be able to take on your case and all of its responsibilities. Call us at (888) 522-6291 so that we can get started.