If you were injured in a truck accident, consider consulting a Los Angeles truck accident lawyer as soon as you can. They can help you understand and protect your rights, including the right to monetary compensation. Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices serves Los Angeles, California and may be able to help you with your case. You can call our office today at (888) 522-6291 for a free case assessment.
The Aftermath of Truck Accidents Can Be Devastating
There are many different kinds of trucks of differing sizes, weights, capacities, and functionalities. However, most (if not all) trucks are significantly heavier than ordinary cars.
Therefore, getting hit by an object as large and heavy as a truck can cause severe damage to you, your passengers, your car, and more. In some cases, per the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), a car may even become lodged beneath a truck with potentially catastrophic consequences.
According to information compiled by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in 2017, the involvement of large trucks in personal injury accidents was on the rise. Personal injuries include any type of damage to your mind or body (as opposed to damage to your car, which is classified as property damage). At Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices, we know that it can take a long time to recover from accident-related personal injuries. Call us today at (888) 522-6291 to get started.
You May Be Entitled to Damages
As mentioned above, truck accidents can cause serious damage both to your car and to you. Getting these injuries and damages fixed or learning how to live with them can be difficult, especially if they are permanent. They may even end up costing a lot of money. You might be able to get financial help by suing the liable party (that is, whoever is legally responsible for your accident) for monetary compensation.
There are two kinds of financial help available. One type is economic damages, which is reserved for accident victims who lost money for reasons like the following:
- Repair costs: Your vehicle was damaged or totaled and needed fixing or replacing.
- Medical costs: You suffered a personal injury that required any sort of treatment (e.g., hospitalization, medication, therapy, etc.).
- Loss of wages: Your injuries prevented you from going to work and supporting your family.
- Loss of financial support: Your loved one’s passing due to the accident means that you can no longer rely on their income to support you and your family.
Another type of damages is non-economic damages, which are reserved for accident victims who were affected physically and/or emotionally for reasons like the following:
- Pain and suffering: Your physical and/or emotional health suffered or continues to suffer because of your injuries.
- Disability: Your injuries are permanent and severe enough to impact your life, your career, and your health.
- Disfigurement: Your scars are large or noticeable enough to impact your physical appearance and/or abilities.
- Loss of society or companionship: Losing your loved one has been emotionally devastating and left an emptiness in your life.
Because everyone’s accident is different, everyone will qualify for different types and amounts of damages. Before you try to create a comprehensive list of your damages, it is a good idea to discuss your case with a lawyer and let them investigate your accident. They may even identify and find proof of compensable damages that you never considered.
Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 888-522-6291
Getting Help from a Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer
It is up to you to decide if you want to hire a lawyer to help you sue for damages. Before you make that decision, you should take several important factors into consideration.
First, the liable party will probably have legal representation. Their lawyers—and the lawyers employed by their insurance company—will not hesitate to undermine your claims and offer you less compensation than you deserve. Confronting them alone can cause unnecessary stress.
In addition, a lawyer may not be as expensive as you think. Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices works for what is known as a contingency fee. Put simply, our payment is contingent upon our success. If we can help you recover compensation, we get a share of the award. If we cannot help you, you owe us nothing.
Below is a partial list of the many ways we can help you with your case.
- Identify those responsible: Should you sue the truck driver, the trucking company, both, or someone else? Your lawyer will conduct an investigation to answer this critical question.
- Calculate damages: Your recollections of the accident, combined with your lawyer’s input and evidence gathered during the investigation, will tell you how much compensation you may qualify for.
- Fill out paperwork: This step may be tedious, but how and when you submit legal forms can make or break your lawsuit.
- Manage communication: Your lawyer will relay messages between you and the liable party so that you never have to speak with them directly.
- Fight for your money: Most cases are resolved at the negotiating table, not in the courtroom. No matter where your case takes us or how long we have to fight, your lawyer will stick with you to the very end.
- Answer questions and give advice: We will explain the legal process to you in as much detail as you like, and we can help you make important legal decisions.
Let a Los Angeles truck accident lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices put your mind at ease. We can fight to recover compensation on your behalf so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries. Call us at (888) 522-6291 for your free case review. A member of our team can take your call at any time, day or night.