Driving on freeways in California means we must share the road with 18-wheelers and semi-trucks. In fact, a 2017 poll ranked California as the top state with the most private and commercial big trucks at 14,037,539. There is currently a high demand for Palm Desert and Palm Springs truck accident lawyers, as the busy 10 freeway stretches across the country into California running right through the desert communities before it comes to a halt in LA. The best truck accident lawyer Los Angeles has to offer is in high demand, as LA County has an overwhelming surge of traffic, including semi-trucks, in addition to major trucking routes that cross the county. But ultimately, truck accident attorneys in California are always in high demand, regardless of the collision’s location.
If you have been injured in a collision involving a semi-truck or 18-wheeler, finding the right truck accident lawyer can be nerve-wracking. Jacoby and Meyers has the best truck accident lawyers in California, armed with a staff of true industry experts who work tirelessly to build your case. Our truck accident attorneys prioritize your immediate medical treatment and ensure you get the highest compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in California
Trucks of multiple sizes and types can cause severe accidents on the road and put other drivers at a higher risk. From your typical pickup truck used as a personal vehicle, to massive commercial big rigs, these vehicles tend to cause greater damage in collisions. Keep in mind that many big rigs weigh up to 20 times more than the average four-door sedan on the road and can leave surrounding motorists with critical injuries. A Jacoby and Meyers truck accident attorney can expertly research the crash, collect the right information from multiple sources, and tell your story to ensure you get the highest possible settlement for your pain and suffering.
Keep in mind that semi-trucks and other large hauling vehicles are subject to specific and strict laws. The regulations placed upon these trucks are meant to minimize the risk of major accidents, and the truck accident lawyers of Jacoby and Meyers have decades of experience in unearthing major violations, building the right case based on concrete evidence, and getting their clients the largest compensation possible.
Some of the common causes of a big rig catastrophe that warrants legal representation from a Jacoby and Meyeers truck accident lawyer include:
- Faulty truck maintenance
- Negligence by the trucking company
- Truck driver errors
- Truck driver fatigue
- Driver distraction
- Poor road conditions
- Inclement weather
- Unsecure or unsafe loads
- Overweight loads
- Transportation of hazardous materials
One of the primary leading causes of truck accidents in California is a trucking company’s failure to properly maintain their fleet. Whether these organizations skip maintenance appointments as a way to cut operational costs, or invest in cheaper inferior parts, any accident that can be traced to such an act of neglect automatically creates liability. In addition, California state law places hourly driving limits for truckers to follow. Many are under tremendous pressure to unload their cargo within strict deadlines in order to hit desired pay scales, and as a result they might ignore these guidelines. With this kind of pressure, long distances, and potentially poorly maintained vehicles, drivers are often fatigued and distracted while operating trucks that roughly weigh 80,000 pounds or 40 tons, at speeds hovering around 65 MPH, that may or may not be properly maintained.
Your California truck accident lawyers at Jacoby and Meyers will harvest the necessary facts from the collision and reports, and work around the clock with a team of experts to ensure your story is told, you get the medical treatment you need, and the compensation you deserve.
For a Free Legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers serving Los Angeles, call 888-522-6291
How the Truck Accident Lawyers of Jacoby and Meyers Handle Big Rig Collisions
The experienced California truck accident lawyers of Jacoby and Meyers start, first and foremost, by ensuring that clients get immediate medical care. As a client is examined by a physician, our car accident attorneys simultaneously delve into the trucking companies. We know that these organizations have their own adjusters, investigators and attorneys who conduct their own research and draft up an analysis. Their goal, first and foremost, is to reduce the company’s liability. If they are successful in doing this, significant portions of your compensation will get eliminated, and you won’t receive a fair amount for your pain and suffering. It is crucial that you contact our truck accident attorneys immediately after seeking medical attention so that we can conduct our own investigation and build your case. If you have been involved in a truck accident, you have multiple options, and to truly understand the best path to follow towards a resolution, it is imperative to reach out to our personal injury lawyers at Jacoby and Meyers without wasting any time.
Once you call us, we assess the facts, do our investigation, and build your case. Then we negotiate with insurance companies and may even take them to litigation in order to secure the compensation you are entitled to. If the driver violated any laws, or the company was negligent, we can take them to court to ensure you are awarded maximum compensation. If you or a loved one have been injured in a truck accident, call us today for a free consultation and get deeper insight into your case, and discover the right direction it can take.
Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 888-522-6291
The Challenges to a Truck Accident Case
Trucking companies and the trucking industry continually work to re-direct responsibility for the accidents to the drivers of other vehicles via research and statistical studies. This information can come up in legal actions associated with any accident. Click here to learn more about the causes and types of truck accident collisions.
In looking for an accident attorney, ensure that attorney has the resources and can pursue the claim for the extended period of time required to see your case through.With our more than 40 years in practice, Jacoby & Meyers has demonstrated success in beating these tactics.
- Take action without delay. Your quick action after an accident can–in the long run–prevent truck companies and their lawyers from using these industry statistics and research against you.
- Act immediately. The truck owner and its SWAT team will be on the job as soon as the accident is reported. However, you are more likely to be confused or injured. In those situations, most of us delay making a decision if we can. An accident requires immediate action to protect your interests and your potential to recover the full value of the damages you experience!
- Hire a resourceful accident attorney in California or your state immediately. If you quickly hire a lawyer in California like Jacoby & Meyers or the state where you accident happened, you have the best chance of preserving evidence, documenting what happened and successfully pursuing your claim in the accident.
- Preserve evidence. Secure your car and other vehicles in the accident. They are evidence. Be sure they are salvaged so that experts hired by your lawyer can study them for proof of what happened in the accident.
- Secure truck and driver data. Truck drivers are required to maintain driving logs. The company that owns the truck and hires the driver has computer records about the driver and about each truck, its maintenance record and other details. Trucks also carry on-board black boxes. These records can be critical to understanding what happened in an accident and substantiating your claim. They must be secured before they can be lost or destroyed. Jacoby & Meyers and their accident reconstruction experts will use them to understand how the accident happened and who was responsible. Jacoby & Meyers will also make sure these vital pieces of evidence remain available.
- Paying for truck accident litigation. Paying for the experts and the other resources necessary to pursue an accident claim can be time consuming and expensive.
- Truck companies and government agencies have deep pockets and time on their side. Truck companies will also rigorously defend themselves from injury claims and property losses.
In some cases, your attorney may have to hire a number of technical experts to identify who had responsibility for your accident and to prove it to a judge and jury. They also have to prove that you are entitled to recover damages.
If there have been serious or catastrophic injuries or deaths in the accident, medical experts are also required to document the extent of the injuries and the care required.
Potential Difficulties and Pitfalls to the Success of your Claim
Understanding the potential difficulties of this type of case. As with any industry, some companies “push the envelope” and, directly or indirectly, follow marginal, illegal or dangerous practices. Here are several examples of those dangerous practices:
- Inaccurate or falsified records. Federal law limits how long a driver can be behind the wheel and how long he or she has to rest after a shift.
- Some companies directly or indirectly force their drivers to falsify the logs documenting how long they have been driving. Driver fatigue is one of the most common causes of truck crashes, so violating the law and falsifying driving records can be a significant factor when the trucker has an accident.
- The government reviews driver logs to assure compliance with rules about driving time, but companies have techniques for hiding this data.
- Companies may also encourage drivers to falsify their driving records indirectly through hidden messages in driver manuals or training materials.
- Support services may also collude in falsifying driving records. For example, fueling stations may fail to print the time of a gas purchase on a receipt.
- An experienced accident attorney like Jacoby & Meyers can determine when driver logs have been falsified and other common scams that cover for drivers who may be fatigued because they are driving too many hours.
- Company policies documented but not followed. Companies sometimes ignore issues like substance abuse or speeding, even though the company rules say that those behaviors are grounds for termination. The right attorneys can identify flaws in company policies and procedures, and will also independently verify the driver’s driving record.
- Multiple responsibilities for truck maintenance and care. In accidents caused by equipment failure, the source of the problem can be difficult to track down. The problem could originate with the manufacturer, with shoddy repairs or because of improper maintenance.
- Investigators and experts have the best chance of pinning down the real cause of the failure and identifying who was responsible.
Common Truck Accidents Questions
The following are some of the most common truck accident questions:
Do I Need a Truck Accident Lawyer if I have Insurance?
Even if you have a great insurance policy, you should definitely contact our team of truck accident attorneys at Jacoby and Meyers. Truck accidents in Los Angeles, and from Sacramento to Palm Springs (and all across the state), are often more complex than other types of vehicular collisions. The main reason for this stems from insurance concerns. All trucking organizations in California are governed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. These regulations mandate that trucks have various amounts of insurance depending on their types, and the materials they carry.
You may receive a temporary or permanent injury from a truck accident that limits your ability to support yourself, as well as your family. In these scenarios it is common for truck companies to argue with leasing and hauling organizations over which insurance provider should pay for damages. Furthermore, they will try to move a certain percentage of fault to the injured party to limit the amount of compensation they would have to pay out. Truck accident victims need personal injury attorneys that specialize in big rig collisions because these experts know how to navigate the labyrinth of insurance complexities that can likely emerge in your lawsuit.
Your Jacoby and Meyers truck accident attorney will take an aggressive angle in pursuing your case and will present it before the insurance company to get you the full compensation you deserve. Call today for a free consultation, and let the experts handle everything for you.
Please select a service below to learn more:
- What Types of Compensation are Available in a Trucking Accident Case?
- Why Hire a Trucking Accident Attorney?
What Should I Do After I Have Been Involved in a Truck Accident?
Receive a full medical checkup to verify any injuries you have received. The longer you wait to document the occurrence and contact a lawyer, the less viable your case may be in court. In addition, federal regulations state that a truck driver’s log can be destroyed after six months if a lawyer fails to apply for a court order or other preventative measure. A truck driver’s log may be used as a piece of evidence integral to your case.
Before giving a statement to an insurance company or the trucking company, you should contact an attorney. It is usually also wise to refrain from signing a medical release or authorization form before contacting a lawyer. The attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers have experience with truck accident insurance claims, and can help you receive the settlement or verdict you deserve.
Getting Help from a Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer
It is up to you to decide if you want to hire a lawyer to help you sue for damages. Before you make that decision, you should take several important factors into consideration.
First, the liable party will probably have legal representation. Their lawyers—and the lawyers employed by their insurance company—will not hesitate to undermine your claims and offer you less compensation than you deserve. Confronting them alone can cause unnecessary stress.
In addition, a lawyer may not be as expensive as you think. Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices works for what is known as a contingency fee. Put simply, our payment is contingent upon our success. If we can help you recover compensation, we get a share of the award. If we cannot help you, you owe us nothing.
Below is a partial list of the many ways we can help you with your case.
- Identify those responsible: Should you sue the truck driver, the trucking company, both, or someone else? Your lawyer will conduct an investigation to answer this critical question.
- Calculate damages: Your recollections of the accident, combined with your lawyer’s input and evidence gathered during the investigation, will tell you how much compensation you may qualify for.
- Fill out paperwork: This step may be tedious, but how and when you submit legal forms can make or break your lawsuit.
- Manage communication: Your lawyer will relay messages between you and the liable party so that you never have to speak with them directly.
- Fight for your money: Most cases are resolved at the negotiating table, not in the courtroom. No matter where your case takes us or how long we have to fight, your lawyer will stick with you to the very end.
- Answer questions and give advice: We will explain the legal process to you in as much detail as you like, and we can help you make important legal decisions.
Let a Los Angeles truck accident lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices put your mind at ease. We can fight to recover compensation on your behalf so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries. Call us at (888) 522-6291 for your free case review. A member of our team can take your call at any time, day or night.