What you should do in the days following a car accident can impact your physical and financial health. You should:
- Obtain a copy of your car accident report as soon as it is ready
- Stick to your treatment plan and keep all follow-up appointments
- Stay in touch with your legal team and comply with their requests for information
- Keep track of your accident-related expenses as they begin to accumulate
The legal team you trust with your compensation claim may request specific information, ask follow-up questions, and update you on your case as it starts to build and progress.
Get a Copy of Your Car Accident Report
According to the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), a crash report is mandatory if anyone involved in the accident was hurt or killed or if more than $1,000 in property damage is readily apparent.
As soon as your car accident report is ready, obtain two copies—one for your personal files and one for your legal team. It will contain vital contact information and critical details about the accident. Your car accident report will tell your legal team details about how and where the accident occurred.
It may also contain diagrams, notes, and photos that point to the cause of the accident. The at-fault driver’s representative may also request copies of the crash reports.
Stick to Your Post-Accident Treatment Plan
The days after a car accident are likely to be filled with doctor’s appointments and other follow-up treatments designed to start restoring your health. Commonly reported car accident injuries include:
- Head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Back and spine injuries
- Broken limbs
- Internal injuries
Sticking to your treatment plan can lead to an optimal physical recovery. Your car accident injuries may require diagnostic tests and exams as well as costly and extensive treatments that include emergency room care, hospital admissions, and physical and occupational therapy.
Speak to your lawyer about accumulating the bills and receipts that detail your medical costs. They can also use your medical notes and prognosis. These items can help them assess the anticipated costs of care your injuries may require at a later date.
Maintain Regular Contact with Your Personal Injury Lawyer
When choosing a personal injury team to help you pursue financial compensation after a car accident, working with a team that is supportive and responsive might be beneficial for your compensation claim. Additional benefits and advantages of a personal injury lawyer include:
- Your lawyer might be able to ensure your claim complies with the statute of limitations found in the California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1. It generally entitles you to two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit.
- Your lawyer may help you build a complete and comprehensive case file containing your medical records, medical bills, accident-related photos, and proof of the amount of income you lost and are expected to lose due to your injuries.
- Your lawyer may help you obtain, complete, and file insurance forms for the at-fault driver’s insurance company. If you are tapping into your own insurance coverage, your lawyer may help you obtain and complete both sets of forms.
Your lawyer might also be able to answer questions, obtain certain information on your behalf.
Keep Track of Your Accident-Related Recoverable Damages
The California Civil Code (CIV) §1431.2 generally entitles you to financial compensation for the following recoverable damages:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future loss of income
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional distress
- Damaged vehicle repairs
- Destroyed vehicle replacement
If someone you love died in a car accident, you might also be able to request compensation for the cost of their final arrangements. Speak to a member of your legal team as soon as possible. They will help you create a complete assessment of the types and amounts of financial compensation you can receive.
Financial Recovery After a Car Accident
Our team is committed to helping injured clients hold at-fault drivers financially responsible. Your compensation should cover all past and future costs related to your injuries. When our team goes to work on your compensation claim, you get the time you need to focus on restoring your physical health.
Contact the Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices by calling (866) 559-7223 to find out what you should do in the days following a car accident. A lawyer from our team would fight for the financial compensation you deserve if another driver’s negligence caused your injuries.