You should get a lawyer for a car accident as soon as possible because time is an important part of the potential success of your personal injury case.
In general, California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1 entitles you to two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations. The time starts ticking on the day of the accident.
If you do not take legal action by the appropriate deadline in your case, it could mean that your lawsuit gets dismissed. Given adequate time, your lawyer might be able to help meet the deadlines in your case.
Because many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency-fee-basis rather than for an hourly wage, involving them early in your claim may not cost you anything out of pocket.
Benefits of Getting a Lawyer After a Car Accident
When you hire a car accident lawyer to represent your car accident case, they may:
- Communicate with all parties on your behalf
- Obtain, prepare, and submit complex insurance paperwork
- Scrutinize your car accident report for supportive details
- Build a comprehensive case file with documents and evidence
- Keep you updated on the progress of your compensation claim
These actions largely focus on dealing with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. If you have optional uninsured motorist covered or underinsured motorist coverage, your car accident lawyer may also be able to help you leverage protection from your own insurance company if:
- You were involved in a hit-and-run accident and were unable to identify the driver
- Your accident expenses exceeded the at-fault driver’s available coverage
- The at-fault driver did not have any insurance coverage at all
When you hire a lawyer to represent you, you may be able to focus on your physical recovery or on helping an injured loved one recover from an accident while your lawyer manages all of the legal aspects of your case.
Building a Comprehensive Case File After Getting a Lawyer
A lawyer might be able to help prove the cause of your accident. They can also assign financial liability to the at-fault driver and negotiate a favorable financial settlement. In order to do so, your lawyer may need to collect evidence, such as:
- Your car accident report
- The at-fault driver’s insurance policy
- Your emergency room and hospital records
- Witness statements
- Photos and videos from the accident scene
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts
If you have questions about your lawyer’s need for any of this information or need help obtaining any of it, contact a member of your law firm immediately.
A Lawyer May Help Assign a Value to Your Compensation Claim
Assigning a monetary value to your compensation claim can be a complicated process. On your own, it may be difficult to:
- Ensure all expenses are included before entertaining settlement offers
- Accurately calculate anticipated costs like future medical care or income loss
- Understand how to value intangible damages like pain and suffering
According to California Civil Code (CIV) §1431.2, the tangible and intangible damages you might be entitled to recover in a personal injury case may include:
- Past and upcoming medical expenses
- Past and upcoming loss of earnings
- Damage or loss of your vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Accurately assessing the value of your compensation claim is certainly important. It can also ensure that you do not accept a settlement that isn’t enough to cover your injury-related expenses.
Call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices Today
If you suffered an injury in a car accident, you do not have to fight for compensation on your own. A Los Angeles car accident lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices may be able to coordinate all aspects of your case while you focus on your recovery.
Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices encourages car accident victims to call us as soon as possible, as we may be able to begin working on your case immediately. For a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices today at (866) 559-7223. During this call, we can discuss your accident, your legal options, and when you should get a lawyer for your car accident.
Jacoby & Meyers Law Offices offers representation on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning our attorney fees come as a percentage of your settlement offer or court award if and when you win your case.
Call or text 866-559-7223 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form